Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Busy College Students

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 16:33:54 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Busy College Students
To: kln@crl.com
cc: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 kln@crl.com wrote:

> YAY Stuart!
>
> Okay, not that I'm a vengeful creature or anything,
> but now that we know where this guy lives, can't we
> use his own messages  to get a list of the other poor
> groups he's been broadcasting to?

It's not that simple. The guy is using no less than four different
accounts on fur different systems. He forges the return addresses on all
his posts so that the system that sent the message is never the one
that's supposed to get the replies.

This guy is a well-known and notorious spammer, and has been kicked off of
systems before -- he always finds a way back on. Part of the key to his
success is that he doesn't *care* if you mailbomb him back. A good portion
of the mail goes to the wrong -- forged -- addresses, and what doesn't he
probably has directed straight to /dev/null, or he is perfectly willing to
sacrifice the account, since he can always find another. His system
kjl.com is an MX-only site, it doesn't have an address. That means it's
just a SLIP/PPP account or a UUCP node. I figure he never really checks
the mail there at all, just has his provider delete it on a regular basis.

He has been confronted about the spamming before and has the audacity to
claim he knows nothing about it. Furthermore, nothing he is doing is
definitely "illegal" in the purely judicial sense of the word, it's just
terrible nettiquette. Criminal law just isn't ready for the internet yet.

Our only reasonable recourse is to go after the sysadmins of the various
sites he is using, chief of which is freenet.fsu.edu, which doesn't seem
to have a clue or give a damn.

> Let's broadcast HIS e-mail address to them with a brief
> explanation (this is the guy responsible for those annoying
> ads) and let them take their own revenge in their varied,
> individual, and doubtless very interesting ways.

My complete information file on Kevin J. Lisitz, aka Krazy Kevin, is too
big and off-topic to post, but if you want, I will mail it to you.

Key email addresses to target are:
postmaster@ixc.net (true source of original posts)
casula1@ISC.NET (tech contact for ixc.com)
postmaster@freenet.fsu.edu
garner@ACNS.FSU.EDU (sysadmin at fsu)
krazykev@kjl.com (Krazy Kevin's "vanity" site)
postmaster@abs.net (MXer for kjl.com)
howardl@ABS.NET (sysadmin for abs.net)
postmaster@escape.com (site where response to "legitimate" queries really
comes from)
roman@escape.com (sysadmin for escape.com)

Telephone numbers:
Viveck Casula, ixc technical zone contact: (212) 758-3283
Krazy Kevin Jay Lipsitz: 718-967-1234
Lee Garner, fsu sysadmin: (904) 644-2591
Howard Leadman, abs sysadmin: (410)-361-8160
Roman kazan, escape sysadmin: 212-888-8780

Keep in mind that some of these folks are good, honest folks who have been
taken advantage of. On the other hand, by allowing Lipsitz to continue to
do what he is doing, some sysadmins are clearly not doing their jobs.

Stu

scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|