Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Beg to Differ

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk (Neil Calton)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:51:31 +0100
Subject: Re: Beg to Differ
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
From: Buffalohead <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Beg To Differ
Date: 19 Aug 1995 15:03:28 GMT

Robb wrote:
>        There is plenty that's good about American TV, including our
>production values, our in-depth dramas (E.R.) and our ribald comedies.
>Musically, too, this is where it all began -- if not for Kate, or even
>her mentors (Elton John and The Beatles), then for theirs.

>        The point is, generalizations like 'American T.V. sucks' and
>'whoever accused us of having good taste' are sneakily offensive. In
>the guise of self-deprecation, your comments seem innocuous enough,
>but don't forget you are representing a lot of people -- many of whom
>have the good taste to be on this newsgroup -- in an international
>medium.

As an outsider who has visited the US a few times and who comes from
the UK which traditionally has always felt a bit smug that its own TV was
"better" than in the US I have to say that a lot of my favourite TV
programmes are American. On the other hand it is also true that
there is a load of crap on US TV as well. When you are producing
so much product for so many channels some of it is bound to
stink.

Here in the UK Channel 4 seems to make a habit of picking up some
of the best US programmes for us to see viz. Hill Street Blues, Cheers,
St. Elsewhere, Golden Girls, Thirtysomething, Northern Exposure,
Roseanne, ER. Plus the BBC showed Twin Peaks, X-Files and ST:TNG.
However, there are a number of other comedies and quiz shows
that have come over here which have been dire. Personally I find
anything with Bill Cosby in it unwatchable. I also have the
feeling that US shows often look better over here as there are
far fewer commercial breaks to interrupt the flow.

British TV was always praised for its dramas and documentaries in
the past but I feel in recent years the frequency of quality material
has declined. In part this may be due to increased competition from
satellite and cable and pressure on the BBC to increase its audience
share in order to justify the licence fee. This means our peak viewing
times are filled with soaps and the likes of Cilla Black and Noel Edmonds.
Music shows are almost non-existant and either "yoof-oriented" dross
or stuck away late at night on short runs (e.g. Later with Jools Holland).
There are still a few good UK documentaries but the US can also do an
excellent job here as well e.g. Ken Burns magnificent series on the
US Civil War.

In short I think it is fair to say "American TV sucks" AND "American
TV is great" it just depends what part of that vast array of material
you choose to analyse.

Neil Calton

Neil Calton                                       INTERNET:  nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Computing & Information           JANET:     nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Systems Department                      BITNET:    nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
Rutherford Appleton Lab.            Tel: +44 1235 44 5740  Fax: +44 1235 44 5893
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon                   URL:
OX11 0QX , England
http://www.cis.rl.ac.uk/people/nbc.html