Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Which "Woman's Work"?

From: dsr@lns598.lns.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 20 Aug 1995 18:35:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Which "Woman's Work"?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <40qutq$cnu@news.rain.org> toehead@rain.org (Chris) writes:
toehead> Go for the Japanese Box Set.  The sound quality is superior
toehead> due to the pressing technology and master process that is
toehead> used.

Given normal CD error rates, I can't see how the pressing technology
would make any difference--bits are bits, as long as the error rate is
small enough to be correctable.

On the other hand, mastering process, and the care taken during
mastering, certainly can make a big difference (and I've certainly
heard examples of indifferently or even incompetenly mastered CDs
that could have been vastly improved).

--
Dan Riley                          Internet:  dsr@lns598.lns.cornell.edu
Wilson Lab, Cornell University     HEPNET/SPAN: lns598::dsr (44630::dsr)