Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is There A Linguist In The House ?

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 18:31:39 -0700
Subject: Re: Is There A Linguist In The House ?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, R.L.Crane wrote:

> I was watching a documentary about shopping malls last night - no
> really, I do have a life - and the word 'Utopia' was defined
> literally as meaning 'No Place'.......

Well, that oversimplifies things.  The word "utopia" is derived both
from "eutopia" (=good place=) and "outopia" (=no place=), both words
being Greek.

> Would 'Fruitopia' therefore mean 'No Fruit' ?

The "topia" in "eutopia" and "outopia" means =place=.

If we extract the "topia" from "Fruitopia", then we are left with
"Frui", which is a =Latin= infinitive form of a verb meaning
"enjoy".

If, on the other hand, we extract the "Fruit" from "Fruitopia" (a
rather paradoxical act), then we are left with "opia", a Greek word
meaning =vision=.

It is fitting that these 'orribly formulated drinks should have such
an 'orribly formulated name.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>