Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #11.193

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 7 Aug 1995 02:35:15 GMT
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #11.193
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

gwithnel@iglou.com (Geoffrey Withnell) wrote:

> Greetings,
> 	This is Banshee again :). I read my K.B. digest today, and saw  Tori
> Amos " covered" and Kate Bush "covered". I like Tori too, and would like
> to know what this meant.
> 	 But the way, any of you heard of Milla? She is russian and x-supermodel
> She toured with "The crash Test Dummies" last year. I went to the concert
> to see them (not a huge fan of theres BTW.), and I met Milla. I remebered
> I had seen Milla on a kids special and when they asked who her "Hero" was
> she said Kate Bush. SO I discussed Kate with Milla. I had a lot of fun!
> Milla starred in "Dazed and Confused" and "Return to blue Lagoon."  Her
> album is entitled "The Divine Comedy". She is a Saggitarus, a fire sign
> like Kate (Leo). To any who aren't farmilliar with Milla I suggest you
> buy her "Divine Comedy", If you think Tori resembles Kate...wait till you
> hear MIlla!

Is this REALLY Geoffrey, or just a pseudo-geoffrey this time?

Yes, I have a copy of 'The Divine Comedy,' and despite the fact that
Milla proudly says she was influenced by Kate (and Tori doesn't even
admit to it), I think Tori and Kate are more similar. Milla's voice
actually reminds me more of Martha Davis', who, incidentally, does
background vocals on Milla's single 'The Gentleman Who Fell.' And her
music sounds eccentric much in the way Kate's does, spiked with
occasional, whimsically high vocals. But there the similarity ends.

Milla's production is very staid, with the same old world instrumenta-
tion used on most every track, while Kate seems driven to experiment
with new and different ideas and instruments for every track. Kate's
albums (except possibly for TKI and Lionheart) are therefore more
varied and exciting...but this is Milla's first album.

I met Milla on a plane once (before her album or 'Dazed And Confused')
and she was really pretty rude. I'd said I recognized her (possibly
from various commercials she was doing back then) and asked what she'd
been in. She replied, "I don't know. What have you seen me in?" Well,
if I'd known that...

So then she told me she'd been in "Stuff," and I said, "That's what it
says on the back of your 8 x 10: stuff?" And she just said 'Yeah."

In her defence, she probably thought I was trying to pick her up (I'm
gay, so...I don't think so) but I'd think she'd be nicer to a prospec-
tive fan! Okay...NOW I'm not so prospective. I do think she's good.
But, being true to myself, I would only buy her CD from that rack
marked 'used.'   :-)

BTW, she does have a homepage, though I don't think it's on The
Ultimate Band List.

Robb