Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A tale of two cities

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 00:53:28 -0700
Subject: A tale of two cities
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

I just got back from Chicago (where I finally met
Chris 'n' Vickie, who took my girlfriend and I out
to a wonderful Mexican restaurant - Thanks, Chris!).
What is amazing, Kate-wise (I didn't have time to check
out any record stores while I was there) was there were
Fruitopia billboards ALL OVER the place.  There are
several ironies here:

Irony one:  I didn't see any Fruitopia vending machines.
Not that I was LOOKING for any, but here in the South Bay
you can't drive a half mile anywhere without passing one.
Also, they have new machines which are purple in color
instead of reddish-pinkish.  Much better, imho.

Irony 1.5:  There they have billboards but no vending
machines.  Here we have vending machines but no billboards
(that I have seen - yet).

Irony 2:  The billboards have the same kaleidoscope fruit
image as the teevee commercials.  But what's soothing and
tranquil on teevee makes one the loudest, most garish
billboards around.

Irony 3:  The commercials use Kate's music, right?  Why not
go all out and use her visual image, too?  Sure, it's
exploitive, but it's the RIGHT kind of exploitation!  (More Kate,
no matter WHAT the context, is ALWAYS a Good Thing).  Even though
she is not (by American standards) "A celebrity", she is not
unattractive and would make a damn fine addition to any billboard,
magazine ad, or what have you.

Irony 4:  If I had just seen the billboards, and there was no
Kate-relation (however slight), I would NEVER drink the stuff.
Such horrid slogans as "removes cynicism naturally".

- Stev0 the ironic

"Womp bam boom"
   - Hugh Grant