Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: These shoes do, a kind of voodoo ?

From: braffet@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Elizabeth Braffet)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 15:27:26 GMT
Subject: Re: These shoes do, a kind of voodoo ?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.hawaii.edu

> In article <393@absfabs.demon.co.uk>, James@absfabs.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > "Every old sock meets an old shoe" (Moments of Pleasure)
> >
> > Kate say's "Isn't that a great saying?".
> >
> > This saying is new to me, my guess is that it means things/people find
> their particular place in life? Am I right ?

This saying was common enough where I grew up; it was something said to
people lamenting about not being able to find a girlfriend or boyfriend.
A common variant of this was "for every old sock, there is an old shoe".
Basically, it was used to mean that somewhere out there is a mate for each
of us.  As to the tastefulness of the imagery, I have no comment. ;-)
Incidentally, the place I grew up was the island of Newfoundland in Canada
which has a very large population of people of Irish descent.  Kate's
mother, Hannah, was Irish I believe.   BTW, I rather prefer your
interpretation of the saying, it's a lot more refined than how the saying
was actually used in Nfld.

In article <magus-0407951804480001@fr-926.cc.iastate.edu>,
magus@big12.metrobbs.com (magus) wrote:
> Better than me give you my understanding of this phrase try and find
> someone with a tape of the TV show Babylon 5. On this show one of the
> ambassadors gives a very eliquent (sp?) speech about "shoes being too
> tight" and "not being able to dance."

   The speech in Babylon 5 is talking about something different, the
courage to love rather than the hunt for love. Nevertheless, I would
endorse the recommendation to watch that program, simply because is it a
show that is better thought out than most (IMHO).

--
Elizabeth Braffet