Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Liz!

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Liz!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Thanks for the info on Cocteau Twins, though I think we're all pretty
aware of them.

My questions wasn't "Who the heck are they?" but "Why change the music on
Kate's home turf where it might actually have recognition value?"

Best memory of Liz:  Standing with my best friend Eric Love in THE BRIG,
once the most outrageous leather bar in San Francisco -- which also had
the BEST BEST music because of Sam LaBelle, great music lover and now
owner of SoundWorks in S.F.  Sam always made sure THE BRIG had no fluff in
the mix -- to the dismay of the leather boys the bar was always filled
with people who only wanted to hear music.  One night the entire bar fell
silent as this ethereal voice soared out of the speakers:

"On this floating, shapeless ocean, I did all my best to survive . . ."

It was "Song to the Siren" and Sam had gotten an advance copy.  He rushed
it onto that night's mix, probably the first airing of the song in The
City. When the song ended there was a second of silence, then the bar
burst into cheers.  These were folks who appreciated greatness.

I still get chills hearing the song, and it always takes me back to that
moment with Eric, who is now gone on before us.

Karen kln@crl.com