Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Getting into Kate

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 22:46:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Getting into Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, William Wright wrote:

> Hey...I am a big fan of Tori Amos, and someone told me that Kate Brush is
> a lot like Tori.

Well, that sort of remark, or even the =suggestion= of such a
thought, usually starts a flame war in this newsgroup.

It seems fairly clear that Tori Amos has to some extent been
influenced by Kate Bush.  Beyond that there are noly some trivial
similarities.

Kate Bush has a great deal more vocal ability than Amos.  And she
pushes the envelope to an extent that Amos does not.  Thematically,
she's a great deal more varied than Amos.

Amos =does= have some strengths that Bush does not, at least insofar
as the persona of the former can express sentiments incompatible
with that of the latter.  I regard some of those sentiments as
interesting and important.

>                  I'm also a big Prog-rock fan, and have heard her music
> compared to Prog, so I'm wondering if I'd like her.

I'm a fan of all three.  You should listen to Bush.  My own
recommendation is that you start with =The Hounds of Love=.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>