Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's LaserDiscs

From: davidh@harlequin.co.uk (David Hembrow)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 13:01:47 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's LaserDiscs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@harlequin.co.uk (Usenet Maintainer)

In article <289743483wnr@wessex.demon.co.uk> alec@wessex.demon.co.uk (alec
baker) writes:
>The Whole Story 1993:
>
>UK: Released in 1993 (stating the obvious?), the picture is excellent
>    throughout. The cover is also very nice, breaking away
>    from the VHS-look of its two predecessors. Unfortunately the sound
>    is VERY hissy, particularly in the right hand channel, which leads
>    me to believe that it was produced from the same master copy as
>    the original analogue TWS release, and not the (much improved)
>    remastered CD Video version. The sound for the three TSW videos is
>    excellent however. Wuthering Heights has the original vocals.
>    Still available.
>    Cat no info: Pic Music Intl, dist by Pioneer LDCE; PLMPB 00871
>                 Made in the USA.

I have a copy of this, and the sound is fine. Definitely no hiss
audible at all, apart from the sound of the master tapes of a few
of the tracks.

I have listened to the internal DACs of my player and and external
DAC box, all through my Quad Electrostatic speakers. Never any hiss.

I have had a problem with this disc though, I am on my third copy
and this, like the previous ones is slightly warped ( I have watched
it spinning around with the lid off my LD player ). The end of
side 1 suffers from serious crosstalk and breaking up of the sound
( but not hiss ). Side 2 is perfect all the way through.

I have the service manual and am intending to make sure the tracking
of my laserdisc player is perfect before returning the disc again.
However, I suppose it is possible that the hiss which you hear is
the result of the same problem on your own disc producing different
symptoms from those which it does on mine.

The other problem I have is that I am beginning to get sick of
hearing Wuthering Heights. I thought this could never happen, but
my 18 month old daughter has decided she likes copying Kate dancing.
She says "Keh Boosh" over and over, pointing at the laserdisc player
or disc. When Wuthering Heights is playing she does a remarkably
credibly job of copying Kate.

Thanks for the details of the other discs, I did not know about
the LaserVision discs.

David.

---
David Hembrow        davidh@harlequin.co.uk        Harlequin Ltd, Cambridge, UK