Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate mentioned on the new Primus CD

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 14 Jun 1995 07:47:54 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate mentioned on the new Primus CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday) wrote:

> > And Milla Jovovitch (Milla) who I met on a plane once (why she was on
> > a plane at all with that zeppellin-sized head I don't know) and also
> > Sarah Brightman on her only pop CD, 'Dive.'
>
> I kind of liked the "Captain Nemo" song; the rest of the album, like
> anything having to do with Brightman or Webber, left me cold.
> Milla is someone I have yet to make my mind up about. I can't say mucch
> about her other than that she's very pretty and the last song on her
> album, in Russian, is nice. The rest of it didn't really leave an
> impression.

Wow, we're practically in Realtime! I JUST wrote that post!

Anyway, the impression I got from 'Dive' was that it sounded very much
like Olivia Newton John -- trying to copy The Ninth Wave! Which is
weird, because Brightman, whom I saw in concert with Webber stuff last
month, usually sounds very thick-voiced and pretentiously operatic. I
discovered that I don't like Webber much either -- too simplistic in
lyric and theme, and way too 'pop' for true theatre. How 'bout those
rockin' lyrics that Jesus sings in JC Superstar: 'Watch Me Die, Watch
Me Die..." Great stuff (read heavy sarcasm.)

Wonder what a full-storyline Kate production would be like...'Live'
doesn't count because the various songs were jammed together with
little development to their order. Guess The Line/Cross/Curve is as
close as we'll get!

	--Robb

> > > Hello, kettle, this is Primus. You're black.

BTW, my fave episode is 'the one with the fake Monica' Visit their
site!