Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #11.140

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 95 13:15:26 PDT
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.140
To: RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

   From: RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU
   Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 17:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
   To: LOVE-HOUNDS@UUNET.UU.NET
   Subject: Jane Siberry Question - No Kate

   Hello,

   I am sitting here listening to When I Was a Boy, by Jane
   Siberry. This is the only album by her that I have. It is sort
   of too mellow for my tastes, but I really like some of the songs.
   Are all of here albums like this one, or are some a little more
   up beat. I think that if some of them were peppier, I would buy
   them. If some one has other albums by Jane Siberry, could you let
   me know how these album compair to When I Was a Boy?

You might like many of Jane's earlier albums (I like them all
immensely, including WIWAB).  In fact, for me Jane is the kind of
musician who doesn't hit me over the head with her brilliance;
she tends to sneak up on you, so songs that don't impress you at
first hit you later.  She has wonderful lyrics and often a wry
sense of humor, and also can achieve a mood of warm abstractness
somewhat reminiscent of Laurie Anderson.  I particularly like her
ability to write joyful songs that aren't cloying.  Her other
albums are:

Jane Siberry (self-titled debut)
No Borders Here
The Speckless Sky
The Walking
Bound by the Beauty

If you want more upbeat tunes, you will probably like _No Borders
Here_ and _The Speckless Sky_.  _The Walking_ is considered by
many to be her most brilliant album, and is a little darker in
tone.  _Bound by the Beauty_ strikes many as sounding a lot like
a country album, at least for the first couple of tracks, but I
like it a lot.