Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Video CD

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 23:17:34 +0200
Subject: Re: Kate's Video CD
To: alec@wessex.demon.co.uk
cc: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu

Hi!

Alec wrote:
> Why? Video CD is a very low-fi system, with poor pictures and
> (certainly in the case of TWS) poor, hissy sound.

Hmmm... others said the CD was, compared to other CDs, quite well encoded.

> Your best bet for the time being is to go for LaserDisc, which gives
> me an excuse to post a quick guide to Kate's LD releases. It would
> be much appreciated if anyone could fill in the gaps.

Obviously, LaserDiscs are still the best way for mere mortals to get
video. Of course, I'd prefer a T1 tape any time... ;-)

Ok, here's my fill:

Live at Hammersmith Odeon:

US: No
Japan: Yes. Deleted now and difficult (can you write: 'understatement'?)
    to find now.
The Single File:
Japan: Yes. Again: deleted and rare.
The Hair of the Hound:

> Never released on LD, as far as I know.

Wrong, there's a Japanese CAV LaserDisc, interesting for it's CAV not CLV,
giving superb still video etc.
The Whole Story:

> UK: 1st edition: Released in the late 80s as a LaserVision analogue
>     sound disc. A sharp picture, but the sound quality was dreadful
>     - a continuous hissing from the right hand channel. The cover is
>     also poor, with the VHS-shaped cover slapped at a jaunty angle
>     in the middle of the LP size sleeve. Now deleted.

I didn't know about this one - and another entry in the discography... ;-)

>     2nd edition: Released a couple of years after the above as one
>     of the first UK digital sound LD's (then called CD video), as you
>     would expect the sound is a great improvement on the above. The
>     cover is also improved, although the front cover is still VHS-
>     shaped, the back has no less than five little colour photos!
>     The disc itself is a snazzy gold colour, and the Wuthering
>     Heights video has the new vocal. Now deleted.

New Vocal? Really? Hmmm... Haven't been able to verify that (disc, but
no player here), but I somehow doubt it. The new vocal isn't the only
difference between the two versions of the song, there's also the
different length. Could you please verify that? It would make the
disc even more interesting than it already is.

> Japan: Unknown.

I think there's also a Japanese version of this.

Remember that the video tape was in the UK charts for over a year, which
music video, if not such a long lasting chart success, is a better candidate
to be put on LaserDisc? It must have been similar successful in other
parts of the world (except for the USA? ;-) )

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]