Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 95 16:59:15 +0200
Subject: (diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Archive-name: music/kate-bush-faq-diffs
Last-modified: 1995/06/11
Version: 1.3.d minus 1.3.a

This is a human understandable 'diff' from previous month's FAQ to this
month's FAQ.

If you are on the mailing list (love-hounds) instead of rec.music.gaffa this
is all you will get without further action.  The full version is posted to
rec.music.gaffa only.  You can get a full copy of the FAQ by requesting it from
me (uli@zoodle.robin.de).  If you subscribe to the list (done by sending
email to love-hounds-request@uunet.uu.net) Bill Wisner will also provide you
with the full FAQ.  If you can't receive more than 64KB in one piece I can
split the FAQ for you.

All paragraphs which have been changed/added/deleted are listed here,
additional comments in []s.  Cosmetical changes aren't listed.

Sorry for the long delay (2 1/2 weeks), but I wasn't able to keep up with my
email for a while. Shouldn't happen again (but probably will someday...)

-------------------8<-------------------
1.1. What is rec.music.gaffa?

     Another note about gaffa and the discussions about its meaning:

        AIIEEEEEEEE!  Please!  Not again!  "It's tape!" "No it's not, you
        shallow twerp!"  "But she said it's tape in an interview!" "Well, she
        lied.  Kate _can_ lie, y'know..."  "But why would she?  C'mon, it's
        tape."  "No way -- far too shallow for the goddess.  Clearly, the song
        is about being mired in concepts that prevent us from reaching our
        hosen destinations."  "But she said it was tape"  "It's not." ("Hey
        guys, quit shouting.  It could easily be _both_")  "Hey!  You got your
        gaffer's tape in my conceptual quagmire!"  "No -- you got your
        conceptual quagmire in my gaffer's tape!"  (TOGETHER)  "Heyyyyyyy..."

        Gaffa:  It's two great concepts that taste great together. [GP]

[Thanks to Gregg Primm for this insight! ;-)]

2.3. Other mailing lists that might be of interest

     Peter Gabriel - gabriel

        subscribe: majordomo@ufsia.ac.be
                   Body: subscribe gabriel
                   Body: subscribe gabriel-digest
        post:      gabriel@ufsia.ac.be

[the addresses changed]

2.4. MUSHrooms influenced by Kate

     Once you're inside, you're in a Happy Rhodes-inspired room, but to
     get to the Kate room, go to the Artist Annex (where there are rooms
     for Kate, Tori, Sarah, etc.), then just type "Kate" to go to the
     Kate room (although you may want to look around first and also type
     HELP just so you can figure out what's happening).

     Along with a Virtual Kate Paradise (which Steve humbly called "Stev0's
     Gaffaland), you can have real-time chat with your fellow Lovehounds! [SB]

[Artist Annex stuff is new, as well as the name Gaffaland.]

4.1. Kate Bush - her career and Kate as a human being

     Fans of Kate were saddened by the news of the passing of her mother on
     Valentine's day, 1992.  (We don't know for what cause, sorry.)

[remark about unknown cause added. Does anyone know?]

4.4. Basic Discography/Videography

     The Cathy Demos (23 early songs, ca. 1975-77???, a MUST for every fan)
        Twelve of these are demos of songs that later appeared on albums,
        They are available on various bootlegs.  (Anybody have an early 80's
        album called THE EARLY YEARS?).
        Tracks (compiled from various boots - none contains all.  The names
        are not officially known, so there are some songs with more than one
        name.  Some names are from a radio broadcast in Arizona [KLN], the
        matching was done by [AR]): The Kick Inside (Brother) [note subtitle],
        Hammer Horror, It Hurts Me (A Rose Growing Old, Feeling Like A Waltz),
        Keep(ing) Me Waiting (Stranded at the Moonbase), Davy (While Davy
        Dozed), Disbelieving Angel, Moving, Kashka From Baghdad, Surrender Into
        the Roses (Coming Up, Carmilla), Oh To Be In Love, Rinfi the Gypsy
        (Playing Canasta (in cold rooms)), On Fire Inside a Snowball (Snow, Hot
        in the Ice), Dali (Ferry Me Over), Where are the Lionhearts
        (Lionhearts, On the Rocks) [NOT Oh England My Lionheart], Violin, The
        Craft Of Love, The Gay Farewell (Queen Eddie), Something Like a Song
        (In My Garden), Frightened Eyes, Never The Less (You'll Do), Come
        Closer To Me Babe (Goodnight Baby), So Soft, Rare Flower (I Don't See
        Why I Shouldn't (Pick the Rare Flower), Organic Acid
     The Studio Demos (7 songs, 1977?, often listed along with The Cathy Demos)
        Most of the times these share the space on CDs, LPs, singles or tapes
        with The Cathy Demos, the biggest distinction is that the studio demos
        were done together with the KT Bush Band instead of Kate alone at her
        piano.  (Babooshka differs in style and might have been recorded at
        Dave Gilmor's studio, some comments on various bootlegs about the
        second version suggest this)
        Tracks (same comments about the names as above): Don't Push Your Foot
        On The Heartbrake, Kite, L'Amour Looks Something Like You, Strange
        Phenomena, Scares Me Silly (Really Gets Me Going), Babooshka
        (2 versions),
        There's a new old song, called Turkish Delight.  I have not yet heard
        it, but it has been described as fitting into a '79-'80 time frame.

[Andy (IED) suggested to split the entry for The Cathy Demos in The Cathy Demos
and The Studio Demos. Where does Turkish Delight belong to? Is it a Studio Demo or
a Cathy Demo?]

4.5. Other Artists using Kate's Work

     Cover versions of Kate's songs:

     Running Up That Hill
        TILT!
            - Aliens & Orgasms (album)
            - Under Cover Vol. III (sampler)
        Kat Devlin - (no recording available)
            (concert: Kat Ellwyn Devlin Sings The Songs Of Kate Bush) [DR2]
        Elastic Band - Running Up That Hill (single)
            (2 different mixes) [JC]
     Wuthering Heights
        The Divine Comedy - (no complete recording available)
            (concert, May 9, 1994, Circustheater in Scheveningen, support act
            for Tori Amos) [MR]
        China Drum - ? [BW]
        Angra - Angels Cry [WW]
     Army Dreamers [... More Kate]
        Kat Devlin - (no recording available)
            (concert: Kat Sings More Kate) [DR2]
     Reaching Out, [... More Kate]
     Kite, [... More Kate]
     In Search Of Peter Pan, [... More Kate]
     You're The One, [... More Kate]
     Pull Out The Pin, [... More Kate]
     The Fog, [... More Kate]
	 Strange Phenomena, [... More Kate]
     All The Love, [... More Kate]
     Rubberband Girl, [... More Kate]
     And So Is Love, [... More Kate]
     Hounds Of Love, [... More Kate]
     Under The Ivy [... More Kate]
        Kat Devlin - (no recording available)
            (concert: Kat Sings More Kate) [DR2]

[Tons of new cover versions uncovered themselves! Kat Devlin was formerly named
Kat Ellwyn Devlin. TILT!'s cover of RUTH is now also available on a compilation
(for those who cannot stand the rest of TILT!)]

4.6. Chart success

     Babooshka:
        UK 5
     Army Dreamers:
        UK: 16

[I wasn't sure whether Babooshka got to 5 or to 7, and whether Army Dreamers
got to 14 or 16. Stev0 said, 5 and 16. So here you are]

4.8. Fanzines

     Kate Bush Club (KBC):
        The KBC unfortunately only seems to come now when there is a new
        album out, but is always worth the wait as it has original articles
        by Kate and her family and lots of great photos.

        KBC
        PO Box 120
        Welling, Kent, DA16 3DS
        UK

        There is an edition of the fanzine for The Red Shoes, send an SASE
        (self addressed and stamped envelope) or a SAE & IRC (self addressed
        envelope & international reply coupon) to the KBC for information, or
        6 pounds sterling (Europe rate, cash or British currency cheque, Euro
        cheque in Pounds is ok) or US$14 (US dollar cheques or US currency) to
        get a copy of the magazine which includes about 20 colour photos.
        (Disclamer: I do not know whether the 'zine is still available or not.)

        The KBC also sends out short information sheets (just a photocopied
        DIN A4 page) more or less regularly.  To get these, send an SA[S]E
        marked with the current SAE number (currently SAE 11) to the KBC.
        Don't expect too much if there's not a new album or a convention
        around.

[new SAE number, better description of what you get for your SAE, disclaimer
added.]

4.11.Kate Bush World Wide Web (WWW) pages

     Kate picture pages:
        http://www.acy.digex.net/~dobenson/benson.html

        This is David Benson's collection of Kate pictures. I haven't seen this
        yet.

     Kate movie page:
        http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Abstracts/
                                                        grf/qt/kate-qt.hqx.abs

        (This has to go on one line of course, it just doesn't fit...)
        There's a QuickTime movie there, which is a loopable clip from the
        Hounds Of Love video.  No sound. [SZ, SMC]

[I still do not have WWW on my system at home. The only things missing are
my own private and personal IP numbers as well as time to configure the
ISDN router. After that, you can expect a new dediKated FTP and WWW server.]

5.1. Home Demo Recordings

     Kate has never commented on any bootleg material, and so she hasn't
     said anything about these as bootlegs.  But she has said plenty of
     things about these recordings - generally to the effect that there
     are about 200 or more of them (20-30 have been 'released' on boots)
     and that they should remain buried and will never re-record any of them.
     The sound quality of all of them reminds of a boombox set to 'record' in a
     living room.  Nevertheless most fans do LOVE these songs and would almost
     kill to hear the rest.

['and will never re-record any of them' added]

7.   Credits

     BW:    Bill Wisner <wisner@uunet.uu.net>
     GP:    Gregg Primm <gprimm@vnet.net>
     JC:    John Copeland <copelandj@aspen.uml.edu>
     MR:    Marcel Rijs <mfgr@sara.nl>
     SMC:   Stuart M. Castergine <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
     SZ:    Steve ZPJ <zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk>
     WW:    Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>

[half a ton of new credits this time!]

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]