Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hi! I'm Back Online!

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 20:51:47 +0200
Subject: Hi! I'm Back Online!
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hello Everybody!

I've been away for quite a while (since December, maybe it's not really that
long, but it sure feels like an eternity to me...).
If some of you don't remember, I finally got a new job after 2 years (more or
less...) of unemployment, but had to move to another town in order to get it.
This one is half the size of the one I used to live in (unfortunately), but I
am at last working in my field of interest and education.

I recently got hold of a copy of the Love-Hounds-Collection.
(Thanks again, Adrian. Sorry for all the trouble.)
Neither picture nor sound had the quality I expected, but that is of minor
consequence. I guess that is because of all copying, and with that I don't
just mean the wear-out of the master at the local dubbing-site, but some of
the recordings were OLD, so the quality must have been bad even before
Chris got his hands on them.
Anyway, I really do enjoy this tape. I have prepared a copy to a friend of mine,
who's even more into Bush than me, for his birthday. He doesn't know what it is
yet, but I accidently mentioned it to a close friend of ours. Fortunetly enough
he realised what this present would mean so he has kept his mouth closed.
Marcus (to whom I will give the tape) only knows of the present's importance to
his future life, so he's almost freeking out in anticipation...

In a posting to gaffa "Missy" (mheeb@darwin.bio.uci.edu) writes:

>	I rarely listen to the radio; but was the other day and caught
>some sounds that made me think KB had released something I was unfamiliar
>with - turned out to be a singer called Tori Amos.  I went and bought
>little earthquakes and was quite pleased.  She's no KB but she's pretty
>good.  Any thoughts?

At the first instant: none that you haven't already stated.
Second thoughts and later pondering:
Little Earthquakes is very good, but Tori's music is actually quite different
from Kate's creations. Mostly in lyrics, but differences can also be detected
in her musical influences. At least if you compare with later Kate albums.
I personally think Little Earthquakes is the better album of the two she has
made so far.

But I still think The Ninth Wawe is the best side Kate ever made.

Mikael Jakonen             Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better
                           over the years, if those who made it knew how to
                           make it right.

take note of my new address:                 mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se