Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Covers of Kate songs

From: D.R.Blythe@sheffield.ac.uk (D R Blythe)
Date: 5 Jun 1995 09:39:07 GMT
Subject: Covers of Kate songs
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

It seems very difficult for anyone to do a cover of a Kate Bush
song without inflicting grievous bodily harm upon it. I don't
have fond memories of Hue and Cry's attempt to do 'The Man With
The Child In His Eyes' from a few years back - the changes in
the lyrics were an absolute abomination.

To be honest, I have more respect for the China Drum version
of 'Wuthering Heights' - anyone heard that? It's very silly,
but in a way a lot more respectful than a more 'serious'
interpretation would have been. For a start, it's in tune,
and doesn't attempt to change any of the words. :)

I'm still blinking from the shock of KB actually giving her
permission to the Utah Saints, though. At the time, I wondered
whether this meant she was getting into techno. It would
be, er, an interesting development. Well, look, if she can
write works of genius while closeted in her house, imagine
what she could do if she got out to a few clubs... :)

Dan
d.r.blythe@sheffield.ac.uk