Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Chrysalis/Suddenly, Tammy!

From: Lisa Arzt <Lisa_Arzt@sonymusic.com>
Date: 2 Jun 95 14:14:30 EDT
Subject: Chrysalis/Suddenly, Tammy!
To: Love-Hounds <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Robb McCaffree wrote:
>.Actually, though I like Benatar, I suspect she did not want to record
> this song, and was rather (ironically) forced to do so by Chrysalis,
> her (then) record company. Chrysalis, I am told, is a subsidiary of
> EMI. They had already wanted to get shots of Benatar in tights (like
> Kate), and I remember her saying in an interview "I'm not going to
> record songs I don't want to record anymore." Further, I don't think
> she ever performed WH live, when it was one of only two ballads she'd
> recorded...and she'd said she wanted to do ballads on stage and men-
> tioned the other ('Don't Let It Show') by name.

I don't remember exactly what year Benatar's version was out, but when I first
started working for what was then CBS Records (and is now Sony) in 1989
Chrysalis was actually distributed by CBS, and had been for awhile. They did
move over to EMI later that year, though. So if you're thinking that EMI had
Kate's interests in mind when Chrysalis asked Benetar to record WH I'm not sure
that they did. (Though my time line may be off...)

Mike Mendelson writes:
>  [if you didn't think a piano, a bass guitar, and drums could
> rock, check out the new suddenly, tammy! release (we get there
> when we do)... it's the best new thing I've heard so far in '95]

The singer/pianist Beth Sorrentino is actually a big Kate fan, too. And I agree
that this record is really great!!!

Lisa