Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Blue Up?

From: Goddess in Training <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 21:32:32 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: The Blue Up?
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

On their latest CD, _Spool Forka Dish_, the singer from The Blue Up?
thanks Kate Bush, among others (including XTC, Peter Gabriel, David
Sylvian, and We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Going to Us It) "for being
shining examples of the life-affirming playfulness and reminding me why I
do this when I get lost, you are all invited to tea anytime, truly."  I
just had to mention this mention of KaTe to others who'd appreciate it
(I've already posted about it on the Sylvian list).

For those who are curious, no, the music's not *that* much like KaTe,
although I could see them going more that direction in the future.  The
first CD, _Cake and Eat It_, was more guitar-oriented, kind of like Kate
crossed with Hole and Belly (but better than such a comparison can make
it sound) and was notable for having a Fuzzbox cover on it.  Their newest
has more keyboards, so the sound is lusher, but the quality's still
there.  I actlually kind of like the new sound somewhat better, but I'm
into keyboards in general.  It's pop (in the positive, European sense of the
word), but intelligent, with an experimental edge that normally doesn't
go too far off the deep end (except for the second to last track, "h.
sidakr of loops," that's basically the whole CD played backwards.  Cute
*idea*, but it should've stayed that way).  If you can't tell, I really
love this CD, and it's lower-priced to promote a new artist (list is
$11.98, but I paid around $8 at Best Buy).

Just wondering what other KaTe fans think of The Blue Up? and wanting to
tell others who might be interested.

Renee Rosen                     "I am the river that loves you, loves you
rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu       fall into the river you'd love to, love to
Goddess in Training              And if I never let you go again
Astrud and LdyGodiva on irc      a sacrifice to the river gods, my friend"
                                                        --Lida Husik