Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A True Story

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 30 May 1995 09:20:23 GMT
Subject: Re: A True Story
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

JWALKER.ENG-MAIL@SMTP.INTECOM.COM (Walker, John) wrote:

>Jump ahead to 1981.  At the senior talent show, I was asked to
>play guitar for one of the girls who was graduating that year.
>She wanted to do "Wuthering Heights" off of Pat Benatar's
>Crimes of Passion album.  "Uh, heh heh heh, OK, but like, uh
>Pat Benatar's a wuss, or something," I replied.  I dutifully
>learned Pat's version, but took note that it was not credited to
>Pat, but to K. Bush.

People are constantly referring to the Benatar version of WH, and saying
that they saw that it was credited Bush and got curious. But Benatar's
records are full of covers. Some of the records are nearly all covers.
Did you track down the originals of the other covers as well?

I also listened alot to Benatar before I got into Bush, but actually, I
never realized that WH was a cover until several years later. It was
when I listened to some old Benatar record again, after getting into
Kate, that I discovered it: "Hey! This is a Kate-song". I found out
that way, not by saying "Hey! This is a Benatar-song" despite the fact
that I heard the Benatar version years befor the Bush version.

anders
http://www.algonet.se/~anders/