Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate<->Tori?

From: cnwetzel@faui01.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Christian Wetzel)
Date: 26 May 1995 13:02:08 GMT
Subject: Kate<->Tori?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi there,

why is it impossible to like _both_? I LOVE Kate's music. But I love also
"Under The Pink". And I have to say that "The Red Shoes", which I bought
the first day it was released, disappointed me. Yes, some songs are great
("Song Of Solomon", "Top Of The City", "Big Stripey Lie"), but there are
too much songs which could have been made by other artists. The lyrics
and her voice are as special as ever, but the music is nothing particular
any more. Take "eat the music" or "rubberband girl", remove her voice,
and you won't hear that the song was made by Kate. Perhaps I just expected
too much, after "Love Hounds" and "The Sensual World"...
So the last Tori-album really surprised me. There was someone singing with
the same intensity I had known before only by Kate, even if their styles
of making music are very different and I don't like to compare them.
But, don't forget, I'm still a great fan of Kate.

Hope I won't get flamed ;-)
							Christian

---
|Christian Wetzel, cnwetzel@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de |
    Gott erhalte den Papst. Und das moeglichst bald. :-)