Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Ophelia" and "The Ninth Wave"

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 14:48:54 -0700
Subject: Re: "Ophelia" and "The Ninth Wave"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Wed, 17 May 1995 IEDSRI@aol.com wrote:

<Neat stuff chopped out.>

> There are several other veiled references to
> Pre-Raphaelite sources in Kate's work, including
> two likely allusions to J. W. Waterhouse's 1888
> version of "The Lady of Shalott" (or possibly

<More neat stuff chopped out.>

Are you sure that you want to count Waterhouse amongst the
Pre-Raphaelites?  I know that many do, but on the other hand the
Pre-Raphaelites were big on bashing Greco-Roman stuff, while
Waterhouse included such representations, and for that matter was
somewhat influenced by Alma-Tadeum. (I've got Pre-Raphaelite stuff
hanging up next to Aesthetic movement stuff, so it's a good thing
that Ruskin never stops by.)

BTW, I've seen other Pre-Raphaelite and Aesthetic stuff treating of
Ophelia's drowned body floating downstream.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>