Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Night Scented Stock

From: JWALKER.ENG-MAIL@SMTP.INTECOM.COM (Walker, John)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 18:13 CDT
Subject: Re: Night Scented Stock
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>We've all participated in this year's heated gaffa debate. Now it's time
>for another linguistic question: What does "Night Scented Stock" mean? I
>have tried and tried and couldn't figure it out. My apologies if it's
>obvious for you who have English as a mother tongue.

I had the same question as Anders which has now been answered.

I'm not so sure that having English as a mother tongue is going to help
much
in deciphering these things.  I have spoken English and only English for
almost 31
years, and  I can honestly say that quite frequently I have NO IDEA what
K8's talking about.
One must journey to the UK, home of the GR8 K8, and ask the fine citizens
there.  I would
guess that there are a lot of inside jokes and cultural references that a
person couldn't understand
without the aid of the BBC and all of the shared experiences therein.  I
would suspect in K8's case
that it helps to have also been raised Catholic (reference the Gaffa
debate)

Any UK Love Hounds care to comment on this?  I for one was surprised at
the influence that
movies have had on her work over the years.

|  John Walker		|
|  Email:   jwalker@intecom.com	|
|  Voice:  (214) 447-8321	|
|  Fax:      (214) 447-8071	|