Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kristen Hersh

From: dijk@let.rug.nl (B.J. Dijk)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 21:49:36 GMT
Subject: Re: Kristen Hersh
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@let.rug.nl (News system at let.rug.nl)

Danielle Fodor writes:
>So, if anybody here is a Kristen Hersh fan i'd really appreciate it if
>you would tell me if she has any other albums out, what they're called,
>and how they compare to Hips and Makers...
Kristen Hersh made a lot of albums with `her' band Throwing Muses before
releasing her solo work. Some titles of Throwing Muses albums:

Throwing Muses (1986)
The fat Skier (1987)
House Tornado (1988)
Hunkpapa (1989)
The real Ramona (1991)
Red Heaven (1992)
University (1995)

This stuff is all a bit louder than her solo outings. I would pick The
real Ramona as an introduction to the Muses.

As far as I know her first solo recordings can be found on the limited edition
live cd that was included with the first copies of the Muses album Red Heaven.
Hips and Makers followed in 1994. Hersh did not leave the Muses to pursue a
solo career (if you read a little on the history of the Throwing Muses you will
see that much like Black Francis was the Pixies, Kristin Hersh _is_ the Muses),
but is doing it on the side instead.

Another related band is Belly, which was formed in 1992 by Tanya Donnely
after she left the Throwing Muses. They have recorded two albums, Star (1993)
and the just released King. I saw them in concert in Amsterdam a week ago.

Berend
--
Berend Dijk                                e-mail: b.j.dijk@let.rug.nl
Department of Humanities Computing           tel.: 050 - 635934