Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on "gaffa"

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: 18 Mar 1995 17:32:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate on "gaffa"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0rmPbH-000il5C@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams) writes:

>   >   JAY: I think it's just, it's just what it means.  If you know
>   >what gaffa is, and in the music business "gaffa" is a very heavy duty
>   >tape.  It's used everywhere, sticking things down, mending things,
>   >makings cases.  And I think the idea is probably if you're wrapped up
>   >in this stuff and just [??? STUFFED] 'round, your suspended waiting for
>   >time.  And I think the rest of it is saying [??? INAUDIBLE] that's the
>   >problem.   (1985, Kate Bush Con. Paddy and Jay Interview)

>       This one doesn't really count, as it's the notoriously taciturn and
>   obscure John Carder Bush speaking in 1985. Kate's only "Tape" explanation
>   occurred in 1984, after (we can assume) she was well sick of offering
>   involved religious explanations to thick-headed interviewers, and
>   watching their eyes glaze over.
>     John was very probably just repeating the simplest, and (at the same
>   time) most obscuring of all explanations.

There's something else I would like to mention about this.  John
Carder Bush is *anything* but taciturn.  I have talked to him on
several occasions, and if you show any serious interest in Kate's or
his work, he is more than willing to talk on and on about the topic in
great detail.  John Carder Bush told me all sorts of things that Kate
would do her best to avoid talking about.  When John Carder Bush says
that Gaffa is gaffer's tape, it is even more convincing than when Kate
says it.