Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

In The Trees Films & Songs

From: DSearch@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 15:58:15 -0500
Subject: In The Trees Films & Songs
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

As someone recently posted, Jacques Tourneur directed the UK movie, "Night of
the Demon" (US title: Curse Of The Demon), released in 1957.  Kate borrowed
HoL's In The Trees It's Coming stuff from this classic.

NotD is a brilliant little horror film, frequently found on 10 Best lists for
the genre.  It's considered to be one of Tourneur's 3 masterpieces, along
with Cat People and I Walked With A Zombie from the early 1940s.  Val Lewton p
roduced the latter 2, along with other non-Tourneur gems from the same period
such as Isle Of The Dead, The Leopard Man, Curse Of The Cat People, Bedlam,
Ghost Ship, The Seventh Victim, and The Body Snatcher.  Don't be fooled by
the titles.  These films contain no gore and special effects are minimal.
 But they're considered to be some of the most intelligently crafted
suspense/horror films ever made.

For those keeping score, HoL would be at least the 2nd pop song using
Tourneur for inspiration, the first being Bowie's title track for Paul
Shrader's 1980s remake of Cat People.  Of course, it could be argued that
Wuthering Heights is The Body Snatcher set to music.  And as we've seen in
the past week we could just as well cite Isle Of The Dead as the basis for
Suspended In Gaffa as we could duct tape.  :)

But so far as I know, Tourneur and Lewton never copped anything from Neil Youn
g. ;)

--David
  Yet another AOL anonymoton <g>