Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Gaffa Meditations

From: llovich@aol.com (Llovich)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 12:31:30 -0500
Subject: Re: The Gaffa Meditations
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@aol.net

>I thought it might be worth noting something in regards to the
>Gaffa debate:  A lot of emphasis has been put on the use of gaffers
>tape in recording situations, but there's another artistic endeavor
>where it's used in mass quantities:  Film sets.

>1)  We know Kate loves films/filmmaking.
>2)  The song also references "slo-mo", another cinematic reference.

And speaking of film and "gaffa"...

No-one has mentioned her "Suspended in Gaffa" video in this "what IS gaffa
exactly" discussion. Since I think her mime/dance movements are more "on
target" than usual in this video, I think it's a legit way to think about
what she was thinking.

In the video, she is literally lost in space, back to the womb and
embracing her real-life mother -- all of which play back to the song's
"big religion" themes. But then her actual mime during the choruses is her
running in place, unable to get past a certain point. I've always seen her
motions here as her trying to push through the tape, literally -- a symbol
of her inability to make contact with god, despite her trying to break the
chains (well, silver duct tape) that holds her down.

While it's interesting that everyone seems to be teasing out twenty
different meanings for "gaffa" in the song, I'm pretty impressed with
"gaffa" (as in tape) as a metaphor for what this song's about. It never
crossed my mind that she might have meant that comment about it gaffa as
tape as a joke because, to my mind, it's just so APPROPRIATE.

Until the next time,
VanceMan

"Just saying it can even make it happen ...
    All I have to do is say it for you."
-- "Cloudbusting," K. Bush