Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa and Withering

From: "John D. Walker" <jwalker3@sun.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 23:10:02 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Gaffa and Withering
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

<UNLURK>

I personally prefer to think of the word Gaffa as something KT made up
because it sounded cool. The lyrics work MUCH better for me if "gaffa" has
no meaning to the rest of the world, that she is lost in something that
only she understands (which is probably the truth of it in the end,
anyway).  KT is in my opinion one of the best lyricists in the music biz
because she can be so intimate and yet reveal nothing.  Brilliant!  By the
way, does anyone have the translation of the backwards stuff at the end of
"Leave it Open?"  (I love The Dreaming - whoever mixed that album should
have gotten some kind of lifetime acheivement award!)

My fellow Dallasite: I share your frustration, and quite enjoyed your
composition, although I probably would have used "Quivering Knees" in
place of "Withering Thighs".  Got quite a chuckle out of it.  The chorus
was perfect!

If you haven't seen the PJ Harvey video, I caught it on MUCH Music this
week, and it's REAL different.  I liked it, and I might even buy the
album, but it's CREEPY.  It was nice to hear Ms. Harvey out of
the bash and crash mode - it didn't remind me of KT so much as kind of a
Tori Amos meets Madonna.  Are they playing it on MTV at all?

Wish me luck - instead of studying for my Global Business Environments
exam tommorrow, I'm suspended in gaffa.  The Info Superhighway
can be quite addictive........ next stop: rec.sport.pro-wrestling!

John
jwalker3@sun.cis.smu.edu
<RELURK>