Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's challenge

From: "Donald B. Treadwell" <dbtreadwell@ltbear.demon.co.uk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 95 18:41:41 GMT
Subject: Kate's challenge
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Back in 1983 I first encontered The music of Kate Bush on MTV.
I was rollerskating at 04:00am in the basement of the dormatory
of my college using MTV as dance music when she came on and
totally entranced me. I now have on CD 1 interview and 11 CD
1 CD32 and 1 Video.  Yet I will never consider myself any kind
of an expert on her music.

I came across the challange "Kate" posted about linking some of
her songs into a possible movie script.  I have to agree that
"The Ninth Wave" is the most obvious choice, and Miss Bush has
mentioned that she was thinking about it also.

One of the great things about music is that it is very subjective
to the listener.  My Ideas are my own and very open to debate and
argument.  Yet who knows there might be a valid thought in there
some where.

"The Ninth Wave" is one of the most elegent assembly of songs that
I have listened to in a long time.  For a movie though the song
sequence is wrong in a few places.

The order that I recomend is:1)Under Ice, 2)And Dream of Sheep,
3)Waking The Witch, 4)Watching You Without Me, 5)Hello earth,
6)The Morning Fog, 7)Jig Of Life.

Why you might ask?  Well the thread that I pick up in all the songs
besides water is spiritualism.

My brief interpretation and links between the songs.
1)Under Ice...Seems to be about a young child who has had a
dreadfull accident.  At first she is full of live enjoying the cool
crisp clean white winter while skating with joy at the vivality
of it all.  Then as with thin ice, it cracks throwing her into a
life and death strugle.  Part of her spirit seperates and starts to
watch with anguish what is going on.  She realizes that the object
strugglingf under the Ice is herself.

"And Dream Of Sheep" She is fighting between staying alive and
the coaxing warm comfortable sleep of death.  Some where aroung her
she becomes aware of people trying to find her and the sounds of people
working on trying to find her.

"Waking The Witch"  While drowning She starts to shed the layers of thread
that attach her to the present and starts to bring up past encounters with water
and drowning.  She recalls the death of a blackbird drowning and with it it caries
her soul deaper into the past.  The Salem witch trials where it was common for
accused witches to be put on trial by drowning. She is "proven to be a witch" and
brought back to the surface for a final chance to recant.  Rescue Workers warn
people out of the water while they attempt to rescue and revive her.

"Watching You Without Me"  Her body is present possibly in a comma while her
spirit is out of body wandering around and viewing family members and seeing
their actions and reactions.  Her soul exits the body totally and leaves the hospital.

"Hello Earth" Her spirit skips around touching on and momentarily entering and
experiencing the life of others on this planet.  She isn't quite ready to totally leave
yet because the life experiences are just that tempting and luring.  She learn to regret
not holding on to the life she was at first fighting for.

"The Morning Fog"  Reencarnation/reborn back into this world.  The circle turns
and she is at that moment between and old remembered life spirit starts to forget
and begin a new life.  She makes promised to herself of better love and understanding
toward her family.

"Jig Of Life" She is re born to the same family.  A new baby for the one lost.  Still
she now has to become herself and never forget what she was before.  Parts of her
other life are still present around the house (maybe a picture on the beadroom mirror)
and as memmories which try to take over, but her new life is in conflect and the
battle continues.

It works, disturbing yet full of many possible paths.
Kate keep up the good work, I am glad that your insanity is similar to mine I like your
style.  I don't worship you, but I do listen and learn and continue to live.
I was raised in a differend society then most. (American Indian traditions and thought)
Take care of your self.  DBT    ltbear.

In life, may all your circles find you happy.
!Email dbtreadwell@ltbear.demon.co.uk
If you are lucky, don't let it stop you from trying.