Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

How she worked...

From: Donald Jay Kulpa <dk141093@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 17:13:32 -0500
Subject: How she worked...
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi-
        (Anyone not interested in a big pile of old memories and KaTegushing
had better get past this post now!  And sorrysorrysorry about the length!)

        Everyone's been talking about how special TWW is to them, so I thought
I'd throw my two cents in on why it's special to me.  It's the song that gave
me Kate!  Sitting half-asleep on a couch several years back (had to be 8th
grade or so -- about 6 yrs. ago -- not sure) while my sister was watching
"She's having a baby" on tape.  I was half asleep, didn't have my contacts in
and was just listening to the movie.  Then THAT CERTAIN SONG came on.  It was
amazing!!!!  As an introduction to a new artist, that ain't so darn bad is it?
All the imagery got to take place in my head, and I had to curl significantly
further into the couch so that my emotional reactions weren't seen by my
sister.  Nothing has hit me that hard and off balance since last week when I
was helping a friend of mine move the office stuff for the AIDS task force he
works for.  Two hours of horsing around and throwing condoms at everyone, and
then I got to the cans of nutrient suppliments I had to move -- and that's when
the reality of what the force is there for and so there I was crying my eyes
out in the middle of the office.
        Went home and played the Sensual World after that oddly enough --
because the album (I've already used 2 tapes of it to destruction) kept me
alive in high school.
        TWW is an amazing song, and very emotional to most of us.
        When I found out who did it, back in the 8th grade, I tried to find
this woman and her work in stores and never could until '89, when the sensual
world came out.  As soon as I saw the name on the tape I bought it, and I
had pretty much forgotten "She's having a hernia" and I played this wonderful
tape by this mysterious woman and it wasn't anything like the musics I'd
listened to before.  KaTe led me to the cure -- siousie and the banshees --
violent femmes even!!!  That one album led me to real art and a whole world of
really wonderful, emotionally and musically risky work.
        But as I listened through my 1st (of 3!!!) copies of TSW, it was so
surprising when there it was again!!!  YAY!!! that amazing song that I couldn't
remember much of how it went by a lady I never forgot...
        Wow -- unbelieveable...
See -- we all get the most amazing connections to the work -- JAY =)
        (sorry that took so long!)
--
XOXOXOXOX  JAY KULPA  dk141093@oak.cats.ohiou.edu  (614)597.9397 XOXOXOXOXOXO
"I can feel it in my bones, I'm gonna spend another year alone."  Liz Phair