Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: rod@aztec.co.za (Rod Suskin)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 00:42:33 +2
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9502140843.AA01087@chimay> denneuli@lifl.fr writes:
>Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 03:44:07 -0500
>From: denneuli@lifl.fr
>Subject: Re: This Woman's Work

>That's interesting! I've wondered for some time about the reason "This woman's work"
>was included on TRS single with a 'typo' in the title. If TWW is somewhat refering
>to her mother's illness then the typo can be explained as a kind of acknowledgement
>of her mother's work as well as her. And it seems quite logical for this song to
>be included on TRS single because the album is dedicated to Mrs Bush, too.
>Perhaps it's a bit far-fetched, but...
>Can anyone tell us what's carved on TRS 7" single? (I haven't a copy yet!).

>Yves.

Nope, it was all a case of reading too much into it. Perhaps it was just
prophetic ... but, George kindly sent me the real answer by e-mail, which I
will post here for those who didn't know this (like me!)
-Rod (who posted the original question)

George's Info"

John Hughes asked Kate to write a song to accompany a scene in the movie
"She's Having a Baby".  The scene is when Kevin Bacon is left in the
waiting room after his wife, Elizabeth McGovern goes into labour (there
are compliactions which I can't remember as it was a really dull film) and
the song covers a flashback scene of him remebering the 'goodtimes' as he
waits for news.  Kate was given complete freedom and the song runs without
any dilogue or sound over it.  And of course it fits perfectly.

Hearing it now you could think that it refers to her mother, but I would
say not nearly as much as "Moments of Pleasure" ("And I can hear my mother
saying every old sock meets and old shoe. Ain't that a great saying...").
The song was first released on the soundtrack album in 1988 and so Kate
wrote it a bit before that and could be a much a 8-9 years old now.