Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Madonna

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 13 Feb 1995 12:36:45 GMT
Subject: Re: Madonna
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

bdemon@linex.com (Keith Moore) wrote:

> I've recently gotten into Kate Bush's music (and very glad that I did),
> but I was wondering what you people may think of Madonna as a songwriter?
> I mean, her image is pretty crazy, and clouds the songs a bit, but I got
> Erotica recently and found the songs quite effective and unique. Her new
> single on Mtv is pretty nice too.

I think Madonna is a quite great artist and have half or two thirds of her
albums. Erotica I do not have. Her latest, Bedtime stories, is quite
powerful and mystifying as far as 'pop' is concerned. The best album,
however, is Like a prayer, IMHO.

> Just wondering if you see through the image too.

Yes, people here in Europe (or Sweden at least) doesn't seem to get as
upset over her image as the Americans. But she was more popular some
years ago, but I don't know if that has to do with the image or the music :-)

anders