Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hi There!

From: clbeckwith@aol.com (CLBECKWITH)
Date: 2 Feb 1995 04:13:25 -0500
Subject: Hi There!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@aol.net

Allow me to introduce myself (just like a certain Monty Python routine.)
My name is Chris, I live in rural Maine, and I have been a Kate fan ever
since her SNL appearance was rebroadcast on the local CBS affiliate in the
early 80s.  (Back then they syndicated the program in its original
90-minute form.  I tried to see the Kate/Eric Idle version during the
60-minute run, but to no avail.)

I am a rare beast in that I didn't much care for TSW, much preferring the
more assertive (if more overtly commercial) TRS.  This has led to many
interesting conversations about the relative merits of each album with
numerous Kate fans.
Assertiveness seems to serve Kate well these days, whereas earlier in her
career she didn't apparently have the vocal strength to carry it off.

Video-wise I much prefer those early in her career, before the music video
explosion and the resultant pressure to produce videos with more of a
storyline and higher budgets.  I really wish she would invest those
resources in a tour, although I have felt for years that Bill Duffield's
death before the first (and only to date) probably spooked her out of
going beyond the planning stages.

Anyway, just wanted to vent my spleen for a couple of paragraphs.  Anyone
care to take up any of these strings?

--Chris B.