Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sony's Web Page

From: Jim@cs.dal.ca, Rice@cs.dal.ca
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 12:35:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Sony's Web Page
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@cs.dal.ca (USENET News)

>Our free-net just installed Lynx with limited web-links.  I can
>get to Sony's page on Kate, I can download the pix listed there...
>but then what do I do with them?  I get nothing but files of
>gobbledy-gook (that's technical talk, y'know).  I tried running
>them through PKUNZIP, and got some cryptic message about use
>ZIPFIX.  Has anyone else been able to nab these photos, and is
>there a trick I don't know?
>
>Frustrated Free-Netter Lisa
>--
It appears that the Sony pictures are in the JPEG format. What you need
on your PC is a viewer program that can display this type of image.
There are several available as shareware at ftp sites on the net. Two
that I have used are 2SHOW and LVIEW.
(When you download the images you might want to give them a name ending
in .JPG so that you can keep track of the format - other sites use .GIF
format for images.)  PKUNZIP only works on files ending in .ZIP that have
been created with PKZIP.