Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under the Ivy Deconstructed

From: Gleea@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 22:01:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Under the Ivy Deconstructed
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Greetings all.  I've sunk into a heavy lurking mode of late, but feel the
need to re-emerge into this thread and throw in my $.02.

This song intrigues me and has seemed to be one of her works most ripe for
meaningful speculations.  I had more or less come to the conclusion, as
others have also indicated, that she is revealing to the listener the nature
of some private place wherein dwells her muscian's soul.

Two interesting bits which caught my eyes and ears, but which other Love
Hounds have yet to comment on:

The back cover photo of The Dreaming is a field of Ivy.  ("go under the ivy")
 On The Sensual World, she hides behind a White Rose ("go right into the
white rose, I'll be waiting for you").  Now, there are different ways to look
at this.  One would be that the only link here is that Kate just happens to
like the imagry of Ivy and White Roses.

 However, I am inclined to think that there is more to it.  I don't know if
she consciously choose to intertwine and overlap these symbols, but I can't
help but feel that this may be one of those instances in which the artist
plants something into her work which carries with it a deeper significance
than she herself may be consciously aware of.  I see the Ivy and the White
Rose as sort of totem symbols for the secret inner places of her creative
spirit.

To quote Albert's contribution:  ~~I guess the intimacy of the piano
arrangement and the lyrics gave me a sense that she was inviting the
listener into the private world of her music. . ~~

I also want to quote |>oug Allen's post:  ~~I asked John Carder Bush this
very question and he wrote me back saying that artists are apertures for God
and are therefore not necessarily conscious of all the meanings that exist in
their work. The more layered meanings there are, the better the aperature.
 Kate, he says, is quite the conduit. ~~

To that I say, wow, what a family!!

I invite comments.  Surely someone else has noticed this?  IED mentioned
something a month or so ago about an article Karen L. Newcombe wrote on
symbolism in Under the Ivy for HomeGround.  I would be most interested in
getting your feedback on this, Karen, since I was unable to read the
HomeGround article.

Waiting in the garden,

Lee  G.