Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Under the Ivory

From: Stev0@zuni.chaco.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 18:03:51 +0800
Subject: Under the Ivory
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
content-length: 1473

"Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au> comes forward:

>[Kate's Under the Ivy interpretation, which we'll get back to later,
  deleted]

>Well, fucking in public (i.e. in front of other people in ordinary
>society) isn't "dirty" but surely it's a tad impolite, like sitting in a
>corner and reading a book at a party, or snoring loudly during a boring
>ballet, or jumping on someone who expresses an opinion.

I don't tend to fuck in public (although my girlfriend and I sometimes
walk around nude in front of other folks - in a non-sexual way, of course),
but when I go to parties, I'm usually in a corner somewhere reading a
book; and I have been known to, oh, once or twice, jump on people for
expressing opinions.  Never been to a ballet, but if I did I assume that
I'd be snoring loudly.

Anyway, about the Under the Ivy interpretation:  Kate's completely wrong,
as usual.  I won't tell you what I think it's REALLY about, but I will say
it's a damn great display of piano & singing.

- Stev0 the polite

obPlayHouse/Pentboy debate:  Yeah, I could see how referring to women
as "Pets" and saying they HAVE to look a certain narrowly-defined way
to be attractive does not contribute to misogyny, much the same way
cigarettes contribute in no way to lung cancer.

But then again, Cosmoploitation is probably the most sexist magazine
in the world (Every month with nice articals such as "You are
UTTERLY WORTHLESS GARBAGE if you're not OWNED by a MAN")