Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Under the Ivy" Deconstructed...

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 10:48:00 AES
Subject: Re: "Under the Ivy" Deconstructed...
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 30 TEXT

  >  From: love-hounds-request
  >  To: rec-music-gaffa
  >  Subject: Re: "Under the Ivy" Deconstructed...
  >  Date: Thursday, 26 January 1995 2:26PM
  >
  >  In this interview Kate told me that the song was about two people
  >  sneaking out back to make love.  When I asked her why the song was so
  >  sad she said because this was something the two people had done
  >  innocently as children, but now they had to sneak around to do it.  It
  >  sounds to me as if everything you say is in the song is there,
  >  according to Kate, and more.  Sexuality is something that to children
  >  is innocent.  It is our screwed up society that makes it dirty.  The
  >  song is sad because the characters long for the innocent sex of their
  >  childhood.
  >
  >  |>oug
  >
  >  P.S.  Don't let the moral majority hear about this.  They'll say that
  >  Kate and I are child pornographers.

 Well, fucking in public (i.e. in front of other people in ordinary
 society) isn't "dirty" but surely it's a tad impolite, like sitting in a
 corner and reading a book at a party, or snoring loudly during a boring
 ballet, or jumping on someone who expresses an opinion.

TSB, Adelaide Australia
 "So open your mouth and you get done" - The Saints