Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori, Kate and Joni

From: jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey)
Date: 25 Jan 1995 19:23:56 -0800
Subject: Re: Tori, Kate and Joni
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: alt.music.progressive, rec.music.gaffa

In article <3g6eg4$kdt@info-server.bbn.com>, Clint Hyde  <chyde@bbn.com> wrote:
>In article <3fs985$pgo@elaine44.Stanford.EDU> jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey) writes:
>
>--> a Molly Bloom who is aware of her own textuality in "The Sensual World,"
>
>				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>this has an intriguing flavor to it, please describe this further.

	Basically, the song's lyrics are taken (more or less) from the
last two or three pages of Molly Bloom's "soliloquy" at the end of
_Ulysses_, where she's recalling the time when she agreed to marry Leopold.
What Kate Bush does is to assume the personality of a Molly who is aware of
being a textual character and who wishes to "roll off of Howth Head
and into the flesh."  She feels confines by the limits of the textual world
and wishes to step "out of the page and into the sensual world." She
also indicates that she would like to "rewrite the speech" that Joyce
has given her, although she doesn't say exactly how.  :-)

	Well, that's it in a nutshell.  I'm afraid I'm a little too lazy
to type in all the lyrics, but I'm sure that there's a WWW or FTP-site
somewhere that has a copy of them.  I've cross-posted this article to
rec.music.gaffa (the Kate Bush newsgroup), so maybe someone there can
direct you to a place you can see the lyrics yourself.  (The song "The
Sensual World," btw, is on the album of the same name.  It's not one
of Kate's most prog-ish albums, but it's certainly not bad.  If you're
a prog fan and you're not familiar with her stuff, I'd probably
reccomend _The Dreaming_ as a first buy; it's Kate at her most
experimental.)

        --  Jim C.

| James A. Chokey                            jchokey@leland.stanford.edu |
|                   Alas! Coquettes are but too rare.                    |
|                                               --  Disraeli             |