Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: NIN

From: S1036056@cedarville.edu (Mustard Seed)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:34:45 GMT
Subject: Re: NIN
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <3fg25m$er7@nic.tip.net> anders.hultman@unisource.se (Anders Hultman) writes:
>Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 04:26:17 -0500
>From: anders.hultman@unisource.se (Anders Hultman)
>Subject: Re: NIN

>76212.3356@CompuServe.COM (mark) wrote:
>>
>> Anybody here into Ninch Inch Nails?

>No, but I'd really like to know what "Nine Inch Nails" mean. I know that
>a pop/rock group name doesn't have to mean anything, but I have seen/heard
>the phrase elsewhere. eg in Tori Amos' lyrics.

>anders

There's speculation in two areas that I know of:
  The least of which is that it is in reference to male genetalia (ie:
   penis).
  The speculation that I've heard more often is in the religious
   context.  In this instance, Nine Inch Nails is used in reference to the
   specific type of nails used to crucify Jesus Christ on the cross.
ms