Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A lurker's observations....

From: a94mikja@ida.his.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 13:04:22 +0100
Subject: Re: A lurker's observations....
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
content-length: 2328

Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin) writes:

>Last year, about this time, there was this
>heated discussion/argument/fight between
>a guy by the name of Jorn and pretty much
>everybody else.....(with Chris-n-Vickie in
>the forefront)...I'll leave it to other people
>to give a little history lesson about that...

This seems to be a recurring fight. Several years ago a huge flame war
raged here, and the people you mentioned were amongst the most rabid.
Eventually, it all calmed down, but nothing was forgotten (aparently).

When Jorn delurked last year, he made what I think was an attempt to make
it all up (Note: this is my oppinion). He was a bit too stubborn to succeed,
but he did try though.
Unfortunatly, far too few were ready to forgive him for his part in that
flame war (remember, it takes at least two to make a fight...)

After all flames I've seen thrown, and all other discussions with heated
arguments not thought through, I've come to realise something.
People writing here are REAL persons. Sometimes I wonder if one or two
months of luking is enough. I've come to understand IED. I've come to
understand Steve0's way of making remarks. I think these two are refreshing.
I've come to realise (at least I believe so) that Chris always seems to
get upset when spiritual questions come up. In my oppinion he starts to write
a-matter-of-factly in those cases, in what could be taken for "I know of
these things".

All have their own ways of behaving, it's just a matter of trying to read
everyone's post with a pinch of salt as someone cleverly remarked, and
remember who's writing them.
For example: Chris has a well documented tendency to oppose the idea of
spiritual/supernatural events. We should accept that, and even though
we may not agree, we should not flame him for it. Even if the agrument
gets harsh.

Mikael Jakonen                                             Odi profanum vulgus

a94mikja@ida.his.se

PS  I'm not writing this for those who've been here +2 years, but for
the newer ones. I offer my apology to those who have already got a grip
of this matter, and ask those who would like to reply to do so privatly.