Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: kate tarot

From: ROSEN RENEE LARCADE <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 1994 18:15:04 -0600 (CST)
Subject: re: kate tarot
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Sender: ROSEN RENEE LARCADE <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>

I personally think a Kate Tarot would be neat--prob. useless for
divination purposes, but as there is a modern tradition of "art" Tarots
(such as the Dali Tarot) where the Tarot is treated as an art form more
than a tool for divination.  As such, a Kate tarot would work (but until
one tries to use it for divination, one will never know).  I have a small
collection of Tarot/cartomancy cards (6 decks or so), and a Kate deck
would be an interesting idea.

I also think that having only one or two people in charge of it would be
best, merely from a logistics point of view.  As for Tarot cards being
designed by many artists, there is at least one deck I know of that was
designed that way.  I can't remember the name of it right now, but it was
a feminist/lesbian deck and was round.  (This is NOT the Motherpeace deck
which is also feminist and also round.)  The way I understood that they
did it was that a few people were in charge, and they asked submissions
and then chose the best ones for each card.  In some cases, they couldn't
decide or thought two were equally good, so they included both in the deck.
Perhaps this system would work for a Kate deck?

As for how Kate would react, there's only one true way to find out--ask
her.  After all, only she knows her opinions on the matter!

Personally, I think a "true believer" would only be offended if they
considered it to be a trivializing of the Tarot--but if it is treated as
an "art" deck, then this would not be a problem.  (How the purchasers of
such a deck treat it is in itself another matter.)

Renee