Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

cathy demos--copywright?

From: ROSEN RENEE LARCADE <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 1994 17:56:55 -0600 (CST)
Subject: cathy demos--copywright?
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

To start off with, this is my first time posting here (& I'm new to
listservs/news groups to begin with), so if I breach any rules of
netiquette, please forgive me (and tell me what I did wrong so that I can
avoid it in the future.  Thanx!  Constructive criticism is never taken as
an offence.)

I was wondering about the status of the Cathy demos as regards to
copywright--I know that legally Kate should retain the rights to them
even though she hasn't published them (at least, according to American
copywright laws as I understand them--I'm no lawyer, so don't quote me on
that.)  The reason I'm wondering is that I am a musician (trying to start
a band sometime next year--know anyone in the Lawrence, KS area, by the
way?) and I wondered how I'd get permission to cover one of these
songs--would I have to write to Kate &/or her lawyers first?  (I have a
feeling that she wouldn't approve since she's not so fond of these songs.)

At the moment this is of a more hypothetical "future reference"
nature--I'm not signed to a label or anything.  But if I'd have no chance
of ever releasing it, I don't want to waste my time working on it (except
maybe for my own pleasure :-) )

Renee
rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu