Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: No subject given (Suspended in Gaffa)

From: bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 1994 14:07:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: No subject given (Suspended in Gaffa)
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Encoding: 1719 Text

In article <1994Dec1.202707.44432@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Tony Hendricks writes:

>>Well, somebody had to say it!
      >>Seriously, though, the first Kate song which began my last two years'
>>worth of infatu-Kate-ion was "Suspended in Gaffa."  My friend Molly had
>>received a CD recording of "The Dreaming" from one of her other friends
>>for her 19th birthday and we listened to it...mostly in the background, so
>>it was especially difficult to understand what she was saying in most of
>>the songs...it wasn't until I hear the "Pandora" reference that I was
>>actively trying to listen to the album...the insanity of that waltz
>>intrigued me...I asked to hear the song again.  In fact, listening to that
>>song when I visit her today is still a tradition (even though I now own
>>the eight easiest-to- find albums and some singles...)

    The Dreaming was the first album that got me hooked on Kate, and SiG was one
    of the first songs on that album to command my attention.  The whole concept
    of the person looking inside as if reading a novel or watching a movie
    expertly and deftly done, and forms a nice bookend with Sat in Your Lap. The
    last chorus where sings so forcefully the line "Sometimes my feet are feet
    of mud/It all goes slo-mo" and then drops to a whisper for "I don't know why
    I'm crying" is emotionally powerful in itself as well as within the context
    of the song and terribly haunting as well.  One of Kate's best psychological
    narrative/epistomology songs and still one of my favorites.

    I too am sometimes scared of the changes,

    Ben Miller
    bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com