Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Judie Tzuke (was "Confessions")

From: llovich@aol.com (Llovich)
Date: 20 Nov 1994 12:55:42 -0500
Subject: Judie Tzuke (was "Confessions")
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

>Forgive my ignorance but what was her first album?  According to my
>(out of date), CD catalogue (forgive the UK spelling), the
>earliest released CD was "Judie Tzuke" in 1985.  However, my copy
>of "Welcome to the Cruise" (which is not even mentioned in the
>catalogue), is (p) & (c) 1979.

>There must be increasing interest in Judie's music 'cos they were both
>re-issues.  "The Cat is Out" was (p) 1985 Legacy Records but this
>pressing is (c) 1992 Castle Classics, whilst "Shoot the Moon" was
>(p) 1982 Chrysalis and (c) 1994 Beat Goes On Records.

The reissuing of Judie's music has been really spotty but -- as far as I
know -- all of her LPs are finally available on CD (I'm not sure about her
3rd LP, "I Am the Phoenix").

"Welcome to the Cruise" was her first LP (and was released as "Stay with
Me Till Dawn" -- after her U.K. hit -- in the U.S.), this was followed by
"Sports Car" (a personal favorite and the start of her "band-oriented"
sound).

LP 3 was "I Am the Phoenix," for my money her weakest album, but it still
has lovely moments.
Next came a move to Chrysalis Records and  "Shoot the Moon". This was
followed by her double-live LP, "Road Noise." Her work at Chysalis
concluded with her -- IMHO -- masterpiece, "Ritmo" (1983/4).

She then went on to another label for "The Cat is Out" her electro-album
(featuring the especially gorgeous "Harbor Lights" as well as her
should-have-been-a-massive-hit remake of Marvin Gaye's "You.") Then she
disappeared for a while and returned with "Turning Stones," a beautiful LP
with a slew of KTB musicians (and a "RUTH" sounding thing called "We'll Go
Dreaming.")

Another hiatus and record label (CBS) and we got the spotty "Left Hand
Talking" (with a pointless remake of "Stay with Me Till Dawn"). The Tzuke
world concludes with "WonderLand," a solid album that doesn't quite reach
the heights of  "Turning Stones."

As far as I know, there's still in release a "best of" called "A Message
from Radio City" that has cuts from her Chysalis-period albums plus a bulk
of "Road Noise."

Did I omit anything? And is this more than anymore wanted to know?

VanceMan