Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

End of ridiculousness?

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 22 Oct 94 18:12:18 EDT
Subject: End of ridiculousness?
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

<primm@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com (Gregg Primm)> writes:

> Hey, hey, hey.  Just trying to inject a (very) little humor into
[...]
> I certainly think that you're right.  However, the vehemence of
> your response was off-base. Period. Had you responded in a
> lighter manner, only to be attacked by Marcel, _then_ I would say
> that your rather heated response would have been required and
> appropriate. As it was, Marcel suggested (a poor suggestion,
> without a doubt) something and you came down on him with a wrath
> and fury that, I would say, was uncalled for.

Exactly.

<aneal@cix.compulink.co.uk (Adrian Neal)> writes:

> Although Chris's choice of words was, shall we say, a little
> colourful, I have to say that I agree with him. You claim that it
> was an innocent remark of yours, well it didn't come across like
> that to me. Like Chris I thought that you were quite serious in
> asking for the swedish showing of TLTCTC to be pirated for, I
> assume, your benefit. Is there any other way that your request
> could be interpreted?

Yes. Read the message. And I already have TLTCTC, FYI. Twice. From
TV and on the official video.

> Did you compose your response to Chris very soon after reading
> his message? If so I would advise counting to 100 in future. <G>

Here's some interesting, important information for some of you.
I _always_ think about what I write. Upon reading Chris's message
I was infuriated. Believe me, the original message was much
harsher, and _very_ insulting. But I realize you can't write
something like that in public, I have always realized that, except
maybe in the beginning of my e-mail "carreer". But that's how I
learned.
So yes, I counted to 10.000 before throwing my message in
cyberspace.

I read Chris apologized, and I accept his apologies.
But I really want to get across one thing to all: THINK when you
write. E-mail is fast and friendly, but sometimes words can come
across very unfortunate. I accept Chris's points he made, but the
way he wrote them it was composed as one long letter directed at my
stupidity for making a suggestion. And however I sympathize with
the whole ideological (for lack of a better word in my dictionary)
theme behind the video compilation, I was really hurt by having put
financial debts and personal problems on my roof.
There _are_ persons behind these little ascii texts, and some of
them can get hurt quite easily. And I do have an elephants' skin,
but sometimes I throw it off, because there's a point to be made.

As for my suggestion: I see it may have been stupid to toss it up,
but during the last 15 months I have seen distributions of the
strangest things via the Internet, however illegal or morally
objectionable. So I figured _what the heck, let's say it_. No-one
could take offence at an _idea_... Like it's been said, just say no
to it. I can understand a simple no, even if it's in English.
:-)

Regards,

Marcel F G Rijs .  . .  .  . .   .  .  . .  . "Conan the librarian"
.   .  .  .   .   . .mfgr@sara.nl (preferred).   . .  .  . .  . .
  .  .   .  . 100276.2176@compuserve.com . .. .  .  . . . .  . . .
Den Haag.  . . . . . .  . . .  .  .   .  .  .  ...  . . Netherlands
 . .  .  If heaven doesn't exist, what will we have missed   . . .
.  .   .  .  . This life is the best we've ever had  ..  .   . .