Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Video Challenge

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 14:57:44 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: The Video Challenge
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Re my remarks on the Love and Anger video:

I did not say the video did not have a storyline. I said that I did not
think the images in the video were put together with the intent of sending
a message to record company executives.

I seem to recall Kate saying in an interview that she herself was not sure
what the song was about. Thus, I would be quite willing to accept that
the video might not have a storyline, if the creator is not sure that the
song does. However, if I were to try to explain the video, I would say that
the first part with the dancers, the orb and sceptre, glitter, etc. are
somehow related to working through or dealing with the problem the song
seems to be talking about. The band scene may represent the state where
the problem has been resolved and a celebration of the new, improved
person results. But, of course, that is my own interpretation.

 As to the
significance of the orb and sceptre, I would say they might represent the
individual's inner strength and self-esteem (a theme that has certainly
occurred in Ms. B.'s other work, and a theme which would certainly relate
to what seems to be going on in the song). However, my more overwhelming
inclination is to say that they look very striking against a dark background.

Finally: another video where there is such a dramatic switch between the
first and second parts? easy. The Big Sky.

Cheers, Fiona