Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love and Anger

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 14:43:18 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: Love and Anger
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Well, I am willing to accept that Kate is Our Lady of the Oblique
Reference (that is *such* a great phrase), but really, I have a hard time
believing that she would put specific references in a video that would
be intended to send a message to record company executives.
(I thought my newsreader had screwed up and I was reading
alt.conspiracy.jfk for a minute :) )

I would argue that she put those images in because she has a great
visual eye and because they looked nice. And maybe the band part is
cheesy-looking, but it certainly has a wonderful energy to it and she sure
looks happy participating in it.

Plus, lay off Heart as an example of guitar wanking. 15 minutes of MTV
(well, in the 15 minutes/week they seem to devote to videos now) will give
a plethora of examples of bands that are much worse. Heart did (does) a
lot to get women musicians accepted as something less than novelties; I
would sooner see them given some credit for their accomplishments rather
than cast aside as wankers.

Cheers, Fiona