Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MoP Best Video Ever?(Spoiler?)

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 1994 16:48:57 -0500
Subject: MoP Best Video Ever?(Spoiler?)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Is there a Spoiler convention for rec.music.gaffa? Just in case...
SPOILER!  (If you haven't seen The Movie)(I guess it's okay, because the
Moderator will catch this...)

One of the things I came away with after seeing /+) in Shepherdstown
(twice!) was that the portion of the film where she is spinning through the
snowstorm touching all her friends who've passed on was one of the best
Kate bits on film EVER!  In terms of visual images supporting the emotional
statement that the singer is making, without resorting to just a literal
interpretation of the words, this sequence packed more wallop than anything
else from before.  The simplicity of the execution is one important factor.
Another is the restraint with which the sequence is set up...the graceful
monotony of Kate just spinning through the sky which is kind of a metaphor
for her whole life (Passing thru Air, Dervishes, Big Sky etc.)  This moment
of the song had real feelings behind it, and Kate does justice to it
visually as well as aurally, IMHO.

Hiro    P.S. Is there a FAQ of who's who in MoP? Besides GtW and Bill, that
is...

Hiroshi Amano
NHK Hi-Vision Coordinating & Research Office
16 W. Hill St.    Baltimore, MD 21230
voice 410-752-5748,  fax 410-752-5850