Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: tori live

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 4:16:26 EDT
Subject: Re: tori live
To: tori.;@pilot.njin.net
Cc: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu, rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

(continuing the cross-post, sorry if it bothers anyone)

And I said:

> Hmm, my guy Chris was wearing a "Suspended in rec.music.gaffa" shirt,
> with a picture of the cover of _The Dreaming_ on the front.  Big guy,
> long long hair and glasses?

I forgot to credit resident Love-Hound/rdt smart-aleck Stev0 Berlin for
being the person responsible for the shirt Chris wore.  It's quite a
wonderful shirt and was responsible for us meeting a group of hard-core
Kate/Tori fans after the show.  They complimented us on our shirts (I
was wearing the "Red Shoes/It's Really Happenin' To Ya!" convention
shirt) and a bit of talking revealed them to also be huge Jane Siberry,
Mary Margaret O'Hara, Victoria Williams and Holly Cole fans.  They 'bout
died when we told them about the "Choral Christmas" concert in Toronto
last year featuring Jane, Holly, Mary Margaret, Victoria & Rebecca
Jenkins.  Of course, I told them to check out Happy Rhodes too :).
I'm sure they'll be getting in touch because they just loved our phone
number (508-KATE aka L0V-KATE) too, and aren't likely to forget it.

One reason why this bit is crossposted is that I wanted to bring up my
only complaint about Steve's shirts, that anyone contemplating a future
rdt shirt might take into consideration.  It's a wonderful shirt, quite
nice, but it was obviously designed by, and for, someone with short hair.
The Love-Hounds address is completely obscured if your hair is any
longer than shoulder length.  Chris and I both have very long hair,
which even covers up Kate's message on the back.  I just kind of wish
the address had been below the message instead of above it.  It's our
problem, not Steve's (who did a *great* job!) but future shirts might
take long hair into consideration.  Ummm...or not.  It's a minor nitpick.

>From: khawkins@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hawkins)

>>One scary moment happened when someone jumped up on stage and ran toward
>>her when she came back for her 1st encore.

> Lovely.  I hope it didn't freak Tori out too much....

It didn't seem to, but then, we were so far away.  She went right into
the backing track version of "Cornflake Girl" and didn't say a word
about it.

>>Ectophiles: Continuing the tradition, I gave Tori's tour manager a copy
>>of Building The Colossus.  He remembered me as  "Tori's Happy connection" :)
>>Thank goodness it's the end of the tour (well, not really, of course)
>>because I've run out of albums to give her :)

> Vickie, I *knew* there was something I was forgetting to tell you when
> you asked me about my Happy Rhodes initiation: my friend who bought the
> album we listened to (I think it was _I_) told me she got it at this store
> in Indiana, and when the girl working there saw what she was getting, she
> said "Oh you must like Kate Bush too."  They then talked for a bit, and my
> friend told her about how she was going to see Tori, and the girl said,
> "I read in an article that Tori says she really likes Happy Rhodes." =)
> That made me smile, because I knew that had to be because of you. =)
> Anyway, thought you might like to hear that.

Cool!!  That's definitely rdt-related, because she must have read my article
in Richard and Melissa's fanzine, when I wrote about Tori's telling me that
she loved Happy.  Big, big big thanks to Richard and Melissa for printing
that in-store signing story and leaving in the Happy part.  It's not only
led to Sharon Nichols' fan club/zine, now it's being talked about in a
record store in Indiana!  What's the British term? Chuffed? I'm chuffed
and touched and very very pleased that this kind of thing is happening
because of Richard and Melissa and the Really-Deep-Thoughts fanzine.
Thanks!  And thanks Kevin, for passing along the story!

Vickie