Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trivial, but cool

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 4:06:09 EDT
Subject: Trivial, but cool
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Cc: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

(for me anyway)

I broke my headphones and it's been wonderful! :)  I got the cord
caught under the chair and something went very weird.  The lead
vocals of whatever I'm listening to almost completely disappear,
and so everything is practically an instrumental, except that
some of the way background and hidden sounds, and some vocal
overdubs are right *there*.  At first I cursed the chair and the
cord (and myself, for not watching what I was doing) but then
I heard some vocals and instruments that I'd never heard before!
I was listening to _Building The Colossus_ (Happy's new album,
for you gaffians) and suddenly heard Happy singing things, and
playing guitar lines that I'd never heard, and I've listened to
this album at least 50 times.

That got me to go get The Dreaming and Hounds of Love, and I have
been having a *GREAT* time!!  Listening like this, to albums that
I know so very well, is amazing.  I'm hearing voices, and instruments
and sound effects that I never knew existed.  I can't even express
how fantastic this is!!

The Dreaming is *already* full of voices and sound effects, and
listening to it normally, I still hear new things every time I
listen to it, which is one reason it's my all-time favorite album
of all-time, by anybody.  Yet, tonight, each song revealed *dozens*
of new things!   Details just *poured* forth....especially in
songs like TD and Get Out Of My House (I mean, footsteps, and
locks clicking and separate doors slamming and grunts and screams
and all kinds of things).

This really confirms my understanding of why Kate considers TD
to be her favorite album.  She put so many details in there that
no one could ever possibly hear everything.  People who like it
will never get tired of it.  It also confirms my (long-held anyway)
conviction that if I had to live with only one album, TD would be
it.

While I was overwhelmed with details while listening to TD, there
are less details on Hounds.  It's still cool to hear most of the songs
as "instrumentals" with occasional voices popping out (especially
on "Waking The Witch") but it's just not as full of suprises as TD.
The one song that did suprised me with hidden interesting things
was "Mother Stands For Comfort" strangely enough.  The piano lines
and broken glass are prominent, and a lot more is done with those
two things than you would imagine.  "The Ninth Wave" (which is my
second favorite thing after the whole of TD) didn't yield the bounty
that I expected.  I know there are lots of things there, but I
didn't really hear anything that I hadn't already heard.  Maybe it's
the way it was recorded, I don't know.

So, I said it was trivial (definitely more trivial than someone mentioning
Kate Bush on Oprah Winfrey a few weeks ago, which I kept forgetting
to post about...a guest told someone to "listen to 'Don't Give Up'
by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush" to help ease emotional pain...which
was cool) but I'm having fun.  I think I'll check out Never For Ever
next :-).

Vickie (who has to decide between getting new headphones and keeping
these so I can hear all the details again, or letting Chris fix 'em)