Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Man I Luhrve

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 15:32:37 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: The Man I Luhrve
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

To my utter amazement, I managed to find this CD single in a local
record store (CD singles are a hard thing to come by here.)

I think Kate does a very good job with the song. The style of the song
is not really "her" style, and she could enunciate the words a little more
clearly in places since the words are a big part of the impact of
this particular song, but I liked hearing her sing it.
It's also interesting to hear her produced by someone other than
herself/Del. George Martin makes her sound a lot more warmer and
human than her own production does (play this back to back with Rubberband
Girl to get the effect).
The other two songs on the single are - well, they're mostly the same song :)
"Rhapsody in Blue" in a long and short version. The orchestral arrangement
is wonderful, but much as I respect Larry Adler's playing I have to say
that if the Gershwins wanted a harmonica to carry the lead melody in this
piece they would have written it for harmonica :) The harmonica sounds
kind of lost, futilely squeaking against the big orchestra.

I haven't seen The Glory of Gershwin album itself yet, but I think this
single is worth getting.

Cheers, Fiona
fmcquarr@atlas.cs.upei.ca